Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Milton's Midweek Music Musing



Song:
Everything is Free Now

Artist
Gillian Welch

Favorite Moment
Instrumental interlude starting around the 1 min mark

Favorite Line 
I can get a straight job, I’ve done it before/ 
never minded working hard, it’s who I’m working for. 

If you’ve ever seen O Brother Where Art Thou, or heard the sirenic soundtrack then you’re familiar with Gillian Welch. She was an associate producer on the album and sung on both I’ll Fly Away and Didn’t leave Nobody But the Baby.
But her original song ‘Everything is Free Now’ off her 2001 album Time: The Revelator, is what I’m recommending you add to your playlist this week. Gillian’s somber songbird vocals over a  fingerpicked guitar make it more than easy to listen to without lessening the weight of the impactful lyrics.
This song came in the wake of Napster’s success. The music business had been changed forever, and while it directly applies to music I feel like the message rings true to anyone who is battling to make what they love what they do.
There’s a lot I could say about the message of this song, but I want you to just listen to it for yourself. I’ll leave you with this however in a 2009 interview Welch told NPR this song was part lament yes, but also a threat saying “It’s the ultimate threat that the artist has at any point to stop sharing their art with the world.”
If you enjoyed this song or let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment