Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Milton's Midweek Music Recommendation: 2nd edition


Song: Sparkle City

Album: Inspiration Information

Artist: Shuggie Otis

Favorite Moment: The baseline shifts at 0:51 & 1:10

Favorite Lyric: Enjoying' all the sites throughout the ride/ Let my chill be my guide 
(disclaimer: all the sites that I looked up to double check this lyric have it down as "Enjoying all the sides throughout the ride, led my cheer be my guide" but I don't agree. Each site was just copy pasted from the last one and contain many of the same errors. I'm going to say I know what I hear in my heart on this one.)

Shuggie is one of the greatest guitar players of all time and a pioneer in R&B, Funk and Soul.  You may have heard his Quincy Jones produced Strawberry Letter 23 before (Which by the way was printed on a strawberry scented vinyl, that should give you some idea on how dope this guy is...) but Sparkle city may not be on your radar.It should be. Truthfully every song Shuggie's ever written should be on your radar, but I chose Sparkle City cause it's the one that really sucked me in. We are treated to some of the grooviest bass and guitar licks for two full minutes before Shuggie's  vocals strut into your ear holes.  After that all you got to do is close your eyes and enjoy the ride. If you don't start bopping your head you don't deserve a neck. 

If you want to know more about Shuggie I would recommend listening to his interview with Jesse Thorn here 

No comments:

Post a Comment